Want to achieve better ROI from your SEO efforts?
If so, then you need to eliminate low-quality content from the website and double down your efforts on high-performing pages.
💡 Here’s how: Conduct audits of your existing content inventory.
In this guide, you’ll find the top content audit tools you should use in 2023 for an effective content audit.
In fact, these content auditing tools have helped us to bring more organic traffic, leads, and sales for our clients.
Let’s check out the list.
What Is a Content Audit Tool?
A content audit tool helps you audit existing website content to identify poor-performing content pieces and suggest opportunities to improve organic ranking and website quality.
It is important to perform a content audit at least every three months to understand what content is working and what’s not.
By eliminating low-quality pages that are bringing down the overall website performance, you can improve the efficiency of your content effort.
This is where tools are required to perform audits faster and better.
Top Content Audit Tools to Use In 2023
1. Google Search Console
Google search console (GSC) is a goldmine for SEOs that helps you find low-performing content pieces and analyze the existing pages in detail.
It gives you the raw data of the organic performance of your website.
This includes clicks, impressions, CTR, average ranking position, and a comparison feature to track content performance.
The best part?
All of the data it shows is directly coming from Google. So, the data accuracy in GSC is much higher than in other SEO tools.
- Create a comparison report of content performance.
- Find technical issues with your website.
- Track backlinks, rich results, breadcrumbs, etc.
- Filter organic data by country, device type, and search appearance.
“If I am allowed to pick only one tool for content audit, it has to be the Google Search Console. First, the data and insights you get from GSC directly come from Google – so it’s more reliable and accurate than most premium SEO tools available.
Second, if you learn to use GSC right away, you can audit each page of your site and find issues in on-page content, technical health, and more.”
— Sk Rafiqul Islam (SEO consultant and creator of Content Marketing VIP)
2. Google Analytics
Another must-have content auditing tool is Google Analytics (GA) which is best for analyzing the performance of your content and pages.
With Google Analytics, you can analyze content performance at every stage of the funnel, such as acquisition, engagement, and conversion.
Here’s the GA dashboard:
This helps you understand key metrics like:
- Performance of various traffic sources (social, email, organic, etc.).
- Average session time.
- Bounce and exit rate
- The number of conversions per page.
- Pages with the highest revenue, etc.
- Easily segment your top-performing pages by conversion value, leads, and traffic.
- Engagement report helps you understand how users interact with your page.
- Add custom goals to measure the business value of your content.
- The data comparison feature allows you to dig deep into specific pages’ performance, etc.
3. Screaming Frog
Screaming Frog is one of the most popular website crawlers for analyzing technical and content issues affecting overall website growth.
With this crawler, you can audit your entire website in minutes and get a visualized chart of existing content issues.
For example, the below screenshot shows the number of thin pages on the website.
Likewise, you can audit your website and find all page-level issues to improve your rankings.
Price: Freemium (paid plan starts at $209/year)
- Log file analyzer.
- Technical audit (broken links, metadata, thin content, etc.).
- Audit structure data.
- SEO spider collects data on average word count, duplicate pages, readability, indexability, and more.
- Check spelling, language, and grammatical errors across the website.
Since Ahrefs launched the webmaster tool, this became a go-to website audit tool in our list.
It shows you technical SEO issues and your website’s organic performance.
This includes metrics like organic keywords, traffic value, backlinks, site structure, anchor text, and more.
And it costs you nothing if you integrate Ahrefs with the website’s official GSC account.
Here’s an example of Ahrefs showing content issues:
Price: Freemium (paid plan starts at $99/month)
- Track the organic performance of websites.
- Internal link suggestions.
- Audit your website structure.
- Categorize your web pages by word count, metadata, and H1 tags.
- Get content issues by priority (high, med, and low).
ContentKing is a real-time website auditing tool that works 24/7 to identify technical errors that may affect user experience and crawl.
Its content segmentation feature allows you to create topic clusters and manage your entire content inventory. Also, this tool gives you real-time insights on content changes such as editing meta descriptions, headings, content, etc.
Let’s look at ContentKing’s dashboard:
- Identify content and SEO issues in real time.
- Log file analyzer.
- Discover topic cluster suggestions for blog content.
- Track new, deleted, or redirect pages 24/7, etc.
6. Semrush content analyzer
Semrush’s content analyzer is a tool built to audit and analyzes up to 20k pages at once.
One thing that differentiates this tool from the rest is that Semrush has features to help you track the performance of your content.
Have you made any content-related changes on a page recently? Use this tool to track the impact and compare different versions to get the best results.
Here’s an example of Semrush’s content groupings by suggestions:
Price: Paid (make 10 requests/ day for free)
- Get clear action items on content issues.
- Identify old articles and low-performing pages.
- Collaborate with your content team.
- It categorizes your web pages by issue categories (update, remove, poor, etc.).
SERanking is an all-in-one content audit software that helps perform a website audit and suggests changes with clear instructions.
With this tool, any beginner can conduct a content audit report along with how-to-fix instructions.
This is the right option if you’re on a low budget and looking for an effective website audit tool focused on measuring content performance.
Price: Starts at $18.72
- The site audit report shows issues and instructions on how to fix them.
- Track previous content audit results.
- Easy to share audit reports with clients and team members.
- Get a core web vitals score across your website.
One of the key steps in a content auditing process is to find whether a page is optimized for the target keyword.
You can manually compare your page content with the top results. But this will take ages to audit hundreds of pages.
This is where MarketMuse helps you by identifying related topics and entities covered by top-ranking pages but not yours.
Price: Freemium (starts at $600/month)
- Content editor with live suggestions
- Instant comparison between your content and any top-ranking result
Clarity is a heatmap tracking software built by Microsoft that helps you analyze how a user interacts with your content and page elements, like CTAs, buttons, headings, etc.
Clarity provides key insights for your content analysis process.
- Page structure.
- How much a page satisfies users’ needs.
- Track sessions with the highest exit rate.
- Find dead links on your pages.
- Live session recordings.
- An abandoned page for eCommerce sites.
- Unresponsive links.
You can integrate GA with Clarity to get additional insights on high-traffic pages, conversion rates, etc.
Clarity dashboard example:
- Watch instant heat map recordings.
- Automatically tracks GA goals in Clarity.
10. Hemmingway Editor
Hemmingway Editor is a great tool to ensure better readability of your content. Content readability could be an issue if your blog articles rank poorly in search engines or have a high bounce rate.
Using Hemmingway, you can quickly audit your existing pages and check the readability score.
The higher the readability grade of an article, the better it is from a user experience standpoint.
Here’s the readability score of this article draft:
- A readability score helps you quickly validate content.
- Highlights suggestions to improve the content structure.
Lack of content uniqueness and grammatical or spelling errors in your articles can affect your Google rankings. This is why you need to check your content for plagiarism and grammatical errors.
Grammarly provides you with instant suggestions to improve the clarity of each sentence.
(Image credit: grammarly.com)
Price: Freemium (paid plan starts at $12/month)
- Automatically rewrite complex and grammatically wrong sentences.
- Plagiarism checker.
- Citations formatting.
- Integrates with Docs, Gmail, Word, WordPress, and social media sites.
Why Is Auditing Your Content Important For SEO And Business Performance?
Content auditing helps you find and fix website issues that might affect your ranking ability.
The bigger the site (number of pages) is, the more frequently you need to conduct audits because it allows you to remove/update poor content that degrades overall site quality.
Here are some key benefits:
- Find gaps in your content strategy when compared with competitors.
- Fix every low-quality page with no traffic and backlinks.
- Identify pages that need a content update.
- Improves the technical health of your website.
- Discover new content opportunities and more.
At Pazeviews, we focus on creating high-quality content and analyzing content performance monthly.
This way, we achieve a better content ROI for our clients with less content.
Does your website require a detailed content audit?
Then contact our SEO experts (free consultancy call) and learn how our content audit service will help you bring more traffic, leads, and revenue.
This is the ultimate content auditing tool list that you need to achieve higher rankings and get more traffic. Like writing and publishing high-quality content, auditing your content inventory frequently is important to your SEO success.
And these content audit tools help you find issues, prioritize the changes, and identify content gaps in your website.
Hope this guide helps you plan your next audit to identify and improve poor pages.
Need any help regarding SEO content audit? Contact us and avail your free consultation call.
Pazeviews Editorial Team is a team of professionals with expertise in Content Writing, Content Marketing, SEO, and more. Learn more about our editorial process to ensure the quality and accuracy of the content published on our website.